Friday, February 26, 2010

Life insurance - Pre existing condition?

I want to get some life insurance but I do not know if I should disclose the fact that I went to the Emergency Room back in July 09 with some chest tightness.

I was extremely stressed and went just because my doctor office told me I should go just to be sure when I tried to get an appointment with my primary doctor.

They did a series of tests and did not find anything wrong (basically, this was a false alarm). They told me that I should follow up with a cardiologist which I never did. Could that be considered pre-existing condition in case I were to have something wrong with me?

It may be considered a pre-existing condition, but since no follow-up was done, you don't know if you have any health problem.

You should disclose it if the life insurance application asks for the information, or in the case of your death the company may be able to legally refuse to pay the claim perhaps based on not disclosing a material fact about your health which may cause death.

When the life insurance company runs the Medical Information Bureau report on you, they'll find it anyway, and if you don't disclose it, they will probably deny your application for leaving that off - and the denial may be reported to all other life insurance companies you apply to, so you may want to disclose the information.

Upon review of your application for life insurance, the insurance company may require you take a full physical exam and have a cardiologist check your health.

This depends on the life insurance company, their underwriting of your application, and how your physical exam goes.

However, there are life insurance no medical exam plans that do not require a physical exam, just a few health questions. These plans may cost more, and usually limit the amount of coverage available.

You should always answer all questions truthfully on your application for life insurance.

NEW! Here’s How to Buy up to $500,000 of Term Life
Insurance without any Medical Exam,
Just a Few Health Questions.


AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Disclosure: Compensated Affiliate

No comments:

Post a Comment